I’ve written about the benefits of Olive Oil for our skin but did you know that Olive Oil is great for your hair too?
I have a funny story…. I saw my longtime friend from lower and high school (a very long time ago!) in Whole Foods the other day and she was so excited about my business venture. She asked me if I remembered that my mother used Olive Oil in my hair. I did NOT remember that. She told me that my hair was so shiny she wanted to do what I did. When we were kids, I told her that my mother used Olive Oil in my hair.
I knew Olive Oil was important in my childhood and I wanted to find out how to use Olive Oil for my hair now – since I, unfortunately, can’t remember what my mother had done.
I found this article which talks about Olive Oil and repairing damaged hair.
The article also talks about other oils that work well, but I am biased to Olive Oil.
Here is what Step to Health says about using Olive Oil:
Olive oil is one of the most used natural cosmetic oils because of its high content of vitamin E, which makes hair grow strong and healthy. It also has regenerative properties that promote growth and luster in hair. Finally, olive oil reduces frizz and can also help add body to limp, dry hair.
How to use it:
- Massage the hair with extra virgin olive oil from root to tip and cover with a hot towel for 5 minutes.
- Then wash normally and repeat the procedure every 15 days. (I’ve started this – so far so good!)
This is ideal for dyed hair and hair that’s continuously exposed to hair dryers and curling irons. (Mine!)
- Make a mixture of four tablespoons of olive oil and a beaten egg.
- Apply throughout your hair and leave on for 15 minutes, then wash with warm water.
- Perform the treatment once a week for a complete revitalization.
For a regenerating hair mask.
- Mix three tablespoons of olive oil with honey.
- Allow to ferment for 24 hours,
- Apply to clean, damp hair and leave for 15 minutes.
- Then wash
Cheers to healthy, shiny hair!
Ciao for now,